Greetings - Welcome to our firm's Blog! Curious to learn more about topics of interest in regards to Estate Planning, Medicaid Planning/Asset Protection and other elder law matters in general? Be sure to check out our online blog! 

To see a listing of our website blog articles tagged and sorted by their own specific topics,  just click on their corresponding 'Blog Categories' links below, located directly under the 'Contact Us Today' field on the lower right of this page. (If viewing this on a desktop or laptop computer.)

Prefer to listen to podcasts on the go instead? Our newest media offering from the firm is an ongoing podcast put out by Robert and Cricket Haley, called 'Aging Intelligently'. 

Welcome to Aging Intelligently, where we walk with you down the path of getting older and together, climb those obstacles that seem insurmountable. Information and preparation can change your perception of aging. To learn more, we invite you to also check out our Aging Intelligently website, located here.

Certified Elder Law Attorney®, Robert W. Haley, and his wife, Cricket, a Certified Elder Care Manager, share their journey from fat to fabulous. They discuss their research, personal experience and interview other experts in the fields of Elder Law, Care Management, Finance, Nutrition, Fitness, and even Travel, so you too, can be holistically well and secure wherever life's path may lead.

*This podcast is accessible through many applications, including AppleSpotify, Anchor, Breaker and Google podcastsSubscribes Welcome! 

Here is the scenario: You have been appointed by the court as someone's Guardian and/or conservator because it has been determined they now lack capacity due to illness or accident, and had no estate planning documents in place.  Since they can no longer take care of their own affairs themselves, what happens now?

After you have been appointed Guardian and Conservator by the court over someone, there is still more to be done!  Here is a list of important things you need to be aware of after the court proceedings have taken place that you will be responsible for:


  • File the “Report of Guardian for an Incapacitated Adult” with the appropriate department of social services within four months of qualification.  There is a $5.00 filing fee that should be made payable to Department of Social Services and sent in with the completed “Report of Guardian for an Incapacitated Adult.”  You must file this report annually.


  • Obtain a Federal EIN (Employee Identification Number) from the IRS.  In your search engine, type “how to apply for EIN” and choose the site that has as part of the link.  The type of legal structure that is applying is your first question; you will choose “Trusts.”  Then you will read the requested information carefully and follow the instructions. 
  • Open a conservatorship checking account. (You will need your EIN printout and your “Certificate/Letter of Qualification.)
  • Have any income that is direct deposited into the ward’s checking account moved to be direct deposited into the conservatorship account.  **If the ward is in the nursing home and going to be or is on Medicaid, we recommend having the nursing home become rep-payee.
  • Once the ward’s income has been re-routed, close the personal checking account and deposit and remaining funds into the conservatorship checking account. 
  • If there are investment accounts, open a new account in the name of the conservatorship and transfer holdings.  This can be done and kept within the same financial institution
  • If there are CD’s, change ownership in the name of the conservatorship or cash in.  If you cash in, be sure to have taxes withheld if applicable.
  • Be sure to get a statement or history printout for any and all financial accounts to show transactions from the date you qualified to the date you closed the account. *Note if any account was held with “survivorship,” TOD (transfer on death), or POD (payable on death).
  • Make sure to keep all bank statements from all accounts.
  • We recommend paying expenses with checks and making a copy so there is a paper trail.  Also, keep copies of all invoices, bills, etc.
  • Within six (6) months of qualification, file your inventory with the appropriate commissioner of accounts.  This will be the value of the ward’s assets on the exact date of your qualification.  If you are unsure who your commissioner of accounts is, you can call the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office where you qualified.
  • There will be an annual accounting due to the commissioner of accounts. If you are unsure of the due date, your assigned commissioner of accounts’ office will be able to provide you with the due date.

                If you would like our guidance in the process, a one-time, in-person consult with our fiduciary paralegal can be scheduled for a fee of $150.00.  Should you wish for our office to manage the entire process, we will be able to quote a fee after the first consultation with the fiduciary paralegal and the assets have been reviewed. There is a minimum fee of $500.00 for this service, however, an exact fee will be agreed upon before any work is done by our office.

Pin It

Government programs such as Medicare, Medicaid and the Veterans Administration will cover the cost of long-term care under certain conditions. Medicare will cover rehabilitation from a hospital stay or limited care at home if there is a skilled need. The Veterans Administration will cover the cost of nursing home care if the veteran is at least 70% service-connected disabled. The VA will also cover other forms of home-based or community-based care if there is a medical need.

Based on analysis of yearly, one-on-one care hours, it is estimated that about 84% of all long-term care is not covered by government programs. Conversely, this means only 16% of long term care service hours are covered by the government. The 84% that is not covered is primarily family-provided home care to help with activities of daily living, or help with maintaining a home, providing meals and support, or care services providing supervision or companionship or providing transportation and shopping services. Care costs not covered by the government are also care provided from family out-of-pocket payments in nursing homes and assisted living facilities. Families are also hiring more and more private services to help with care within the home.

The high cost of long-term care has made planning a critically important issue for most middle class seniors and their families.  In fact, most seniors will likely require some form of long-term care. Sadly, many of them are unprepared for the significant financial burdens it places on their family’s hard earned savings.  Financial devastation looms large for a family facing ongoing care at a rate of up to $10,000 or more per month!

For more information on what the options are, contact us to see how we can help your family in planning for the future!

Pin It

According to an article today by Associated Press, as Hurricane Dorian blows off the coast of the Carolinas up to Virginia, events continue to develop. Forecasters are predicting high storm surges and drenching rains that could trigger flooding and unleash environmental hazards in areas still recovering from the effects of last year's Hurricane Florence.

It is ideal to prepare for when the impact of it reaches Virginia, as the threat of Hurricane Dorian is understandably a serious concern. Adult children and family caregivers in the area as well as outside it no doubt find themselves feeling more than a little anxious about their senior loved one’s safety during this time.

Older adults are exceptionally vulnerable to Mother Nature’s wrath. Emergency preparedness for seniors can mean the difference between life and death. From blizzards to hurricanes, disaster planning for the elderly is an absolute must, especially for families who are separated by many miles and unable to be their elderly loved one's first line of defense in a storm. Our office, since the news of Dorian came to our attention, has been working closely with our Life Care Planning clients to make sure that they are as prepared as possible for the uncertainty of what lies ahead.

Courtesy of The American Red Cross, here is a quick list of questions to consider that your hurricane plan for yourself and your elderly loved ones should clearly address:

(1) What do I need to do to secure my home? Where will I get the supplies to do so?

(2) Who will help me prepare my home before a storm?

(3) If my home isn’t safe or if it becomes part of a forced evacuation zone, where will I go and how will I get there?

(4) What will happen to my pet? Is there a shelter near me that will accept pets?

(5) What items do I need to have ready to go if I am forced to evacuate (i.e. medications and supplies)?

(6) Who can I call if I am overwhelmed and need help?

It’s important for seniors and their loved ones to be prepared. In addition to securing trashcans and outside furniture, a storm-safe shelter in a senior’s home should be stocked with the supplies and food items necessary to ride out the storm and a few extra days. Make sure they have at least two weeks of all medications on hand including supplies needed for diabetes care and other health conditions. Stock up on non-perishable food items and water, as well as a can opener and paper products. Make sure you have a cooler or two with ice and bottled water. Check your first aid kit to see if it needs restocking and that it includes sunscreen and bug spray. Have a pet carrier, pet food and medicine and supplies in an easy to access location. Create a storm box that includes a battery-operated weather radio, several flashlights, a cell phone charger and extra batteries for all. Stash extra pillows, blankets and possibly even an air mattress in a safe space.  Be sure to place copies of important medical, legal and financial papers in a secure, waterproof, durable container.

Hurricanes are strong storms that can be life-threatening as well as cause serious hazards such as flooding, storm surge, high winds and tornadoes. Learn what to do to keep your loved ones safe and be careful out there!

Check out this following link to read the original article from Associated Press:

Pin It

It's a hard fact: The high cost of long-term care has made planning a critically important issue for most middle class seniors and their families.  Sadly, many of them are unprepared for the significant financial burdens that it places on their family’s hard-earned savings.  Financial devastation looms large for a family facing ongoing care at a rate of up to $10,000 a month! Roughly 50% of healthy Americans age 65 will eventually require some form of long-term care. This care can be nursing home care, assisted living or home care. Whatever the setting, this kind of care becomes quickly and extremely expensive. So how does one exactly pay for long-term care? Below are the following five methods:

(1) PRIVATE PAY: The first way is called private pay; you simply write the provider a check for the monthly bill from your hard-earned life's savings.

(2)  LONG-TERM CARE INSURANCE: The second but better way to plan ahead and pay for long-term care is to purchase long-term care insurance. However, only about 8% of Americans have purchased long-term care insurance. By age 65, 25% of individuals are no longer insurable, making this less of a viable option for most people.

(3) MEDICARE: The third way to pay for long-term care is through Medicare. Medicare pays for some home care for people who are homebound, and it pays part of a maximum of 100 days in a nursing home if that person is receiving skilled care.

(4) VETERANS ADMINISTRATION: For those who served in the military and their spouses, there is a fourth option. The Veterans Administration helps pay for long-term care, but the benefit is very limited. Statistically, VA programs pay for less than 1% of all of the long-term care provided in the United States.

(5) MEDICAID: The fifth way is Medicaid, which to be clear, is entirely seperate from Medicare. Medicaid pays for over half of all the long-term care expenses in the United States. For all practical purposes, in the United States, the only “insurance” plan for long-term institutionalized care is Medicaid.

Medicare only pays for approximately 2% of skilled nursing care in the United States, and private insurance pays for even less. The result is that when Medicare is exhausted, most people proceed to needlessly pay out of their own pockets for long-term care until their funds are nearly depleted and they then become financially eligible for Medicaid. This is often referred to as a 'spend-down' by the department of social services or the nursing home. This process naturally impoverishes a person and their spouse if married, since BOTH person's assets are counted in a married couple situation.

As you can see, without proper planning, nursing home residents will quickly deplete their savings! Many of our clients are interested in protecting their assets from the rising cost of long-term care: We can help! Please call our office to schedule a consultation and see how we can help you and your family protect what is important for the future!

Pin It

The CDC states falls among older adults are extremely common with an estimated 2.5 million older adults treated for fall injuries in the U.S. every year. An estimated 25,000 of those fall injuries result in death. Justifiably so, 8 out of 10 caregivers are worried about fall prevention for their loved ones.


With these statistics above in mind, check out the link below to research personal emergency response system and other assistive technology options available to find ones that truly enhance the lives of seniors and their families by coupling an independent lifestyle with safety and peace of mind:

Pin It

We receive calls every week from families caring for a loved one whose health is starting to deteriorate, asking about getting a Power of Attorney.  Sadly, far too often in the case of those suffering from Alzheimer’s or dementia, most had not done any estate planning documents prior to their worsening condition and by this point may have lost all capacity to sign legal documents! What can be done in instances where no estate planning was put in place ahead of time? The answer is often a guardianship.


By definition of the law, a guardianship is a legal relationship in which an entity or a person is named in a will or is appointed by the court to make decisions for another. One example would be in the case of minors and adults who have become incapable of taking care of their personal needs and can no longer make decisions on their own.


It is also referred to as a conservatorship on occasion, but the term “guardianship” is more frequently used. In the case of minors, the guardianship will apply until he or she is 18 years old. Any family member or close family friend can petition the court for guardianship or a government agency can petition for it.


This is also true in the case of incompetent adults, but the person or ward can select the person that he wants to be his guardian. The judge will take this into consideration before granting the guardianship. After the guardianship is obtained, the ward cannot revoke the guardianship. However, there are cases wherein temporary guardianship is given which can be terminated after achieving a certain purpose. Guardians make all decisions for and on behalf of their wards but must not benefit from transactions made for his ward.


A guardianship is meant to ensure that a minor or an incapacitated adult receives all the necessary care he needs. Every decision that a guardian makes on behalf of his ward must be for the benefit and well-being of his ward.


A power of attorney, on the other hand, is a written, legal document wherein an individual called “the principal” appoints another individual called “the agent” to act on his behalf; authorizing the agent to make transactions for the principal.


Usually, a power of attorney is made when a principal sees that he is becoming unable to handle some of his affairs. This is usually done when he becomes ill or has been in an accident, or when he goes out of town and there are financial transactions that have to be done in his absence. This type of planning should all be done with an eye towards planning for the future, and avoiding possible incapacity. It is a written agreement between the agent and the principal whose consent is necessary for the power of attorney to take effect. Should the principal see that the power of attorney is no longer needed, he can revoke or terminate it at any time.


The power of attorney documents produced by our firm are two separate documents: Durable (for financial matters) and Healthcare (for medical and health-related matters). A Living Will is typically paired with the Healthcare Power of Attorney to address end-of-life decisions. While these documents are very thorough, the only thing worse than not having a power of attorney is having one, but never actually having that conversation with your agent as to what your actual wishes would be if you were unable to communicate them yourself! You are ideally trying to create the situation where someone is not trying to decide end-of-life decisions for you, but to merely voice what they know you would want in those circumstances! The power of the agent is limited only to the content of the agreement, and should be done based on the client’s own specific needs and situation both now and in the future.  


While guardianship requires the guardian to report to the court and other agencies the financial dealings made for the ward to determine where the ward’s money went, a power of attorney does not require the agent to account for every penny that he spent.


The best advice of course, is to plan ahead, as no one knows what the future holds! For those situations where time has run out in regards to planning and estate planning documents are no longer possible, a guardianship is the more expensive and time-consuming route, but is often the only answer.  For a general overview of the process check out this link:


Pin It

Congratulations go out to our firm's Managing Attorney Robert W. Haley, Certified Elder Law Attorney, who has been named to the Top Attorneys Super Lawyers List again for several years running for 2019!

Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. Selection for inclusion on this list is determined by independent research and peer nomination and evaluation.

For more information on the Super Lawyers selection process, check out the link below:

Pin It

We’re delighted to announce that we have been awarded the AV Preeminent® Rating for 2019! We are very proud to bring you the highest level of service in our practice. #avrated #awards

Pin It

“I have no chance at all of protecting my home from Medicaid” … FALSE!

Without careful planning, Medicaid can require the sale of your home or record a lien on your home. Depending on the elder's individual circumstances, it is often possible to save the home. We work to prevent a forced sale or prevent a lien where possible. The key here is that you take action toward this as soon as possible.

Too often, elders and their families believe that they need to spend-down all their money on the nursing home before the elder may qualify for Medicaid benefits. For more information on how we can help your family plan for the future, call us at 855-503-5337 to schedule a consultation.To learn more about this process, be sure to check out our website:…/medicaid-planning-asset-protection

Pin It

"I am already protected because Medicaid won't count the assets in my spouse's name" ... FALSE!


Sadly, no - Medicaid counts assets in both your name and your spouse's name. Likewise, most assets owned jointly with 3rd parties (adult children, for instance) are also fully countable to the elder in the Medicaid planning process. Asset Protection that yields real results requires the advice of a qualified and Certified Elder Law Attorney, as trying to protect assets yourself without the right help can have real and dire repercussions if done incorrectly. Also, an often little-known fact is that when it comes to Medicaid Planning and Asset Protection, a pre-nuptial agreement in Virginia will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to protect your assets from long-term care should your spouse need to apply for Medicaid!


Too often, elders and their families believe that they need to spend-down all their money on the nursing home before the elder may qualify for Medicaid benefits. For more information on how we can help your family plan for the future, call us at 855-503-5337 to schedule a consultation.To learn more about this process, be sure to check out our website:…/medicaid-planning-asset-protection

Pin It

"Planning is unnecessary - the nursing home covers everything" ... FALSE!


By shielding assets and income, we can help ensure that married clients protect their spouse at home against impoverishment. For unmarried clients, the attorney should ensure that they have rainy day funds to supplement their quality of life for the rest of their lives. The fact is that nursing homes do not cover all of the needs of the elder. Those elders and their families in nursing homes who have planned ahead enjoy a much higher quality of life than those who failed to save assets.


Too often, elders and their families believe that they need to spend-down all their money on the nursing home before the elder may qualify for Medicaid benefits. For more information on how we can help your family plan for the future, call us at 855-503-5337 to schedule a consultation.To learn more about this process, be sure to check out our website:…/medicaid-planning-asset-protection

Pin It